Lots of my women are in “brace for impact” mode as summer begins. Here are a few of my best strategies to keep summer sane AND sexy.
1) Obvi- summer bucket list. But don’t just dream it. Book it. Plan around the dreams now. Otherwise it’s August and you’re over there like “another summer down the drain”.
2) Automate as much as possible- especially grocery delivery. You’ll be burning through food all summer so schedule grocery delivery NOW. And set it up for auto ship to avoid the “there’s nothing to eat” blues.
3) Get a mom buddy to swap kids. Our “me” time becomes severely compromised when kids are home. Set up standing swaps so you can do whatever your heart desires. But save the chores for when your kids are home and you have cheap labor 😉
4) Hide 1/2 your towels. It’s amazing how useable towels become when it’s the last one.
5) The “I’m Bored” Board. (Chalk board, cork board, etc.) Write one activity, chore, task, or homework assignment on little pieces of paper (tickets). Kids have to bring you three completed tickets before they can complain that they’re bored.
6) Get concert tickets. Doesn’t matter who or where. Live music has a way of activating our cells and offers a massive quality of life upgrade. Take advantage of summer season to put this key ingredient into your life.
7) Your state has AWESOME hiking trails. And probably even some stellar waterfalls and natural wonders. Go there. It’s close to home but being that plugged in to nature makes it feel like a total escape and will reboot your batteries big time.
8 ) Get a large Tupperware container. Keep it in your car. Put a change of clothes, socks, underwear, pajamas, bathing suit, and toothbrush for each kid in it. This accommodates the spontaneity of summer.
9) Ten Minute Clean Sweep. Before friends come over. While friends are there. Before bed. And whenever else you feel like it. Everyone (even friends) stop what they’re doing and collect the popsicle sticks and wrappers, towels, socks, shoes, water guns, skateboards and everything else that has exploded over your house and yard. Chuckle to yourself as your kids suddenly become the authority on tidying up so you don’t use your Mom Voice in front of their friends!
10) Solo cups & Sharpie markers. Or dry erase marker on glass glasses. One cup per kid per visit. Ain’t no one got time for washing cups and towels all summer.
11) If your kids are too young for this…I got nothin. The toddler years are tough so keep your head up. Your glory days of parenting are near. In the meantime, double down on putting all the good stuff in your life. You likely need it now more than ever.
12) JOIN MY VIRTUAL MASTERMIND FOR PROFESSIONAL WOMEN. You’ll need a break from your kids and your mom friends. This eight week sprint will help you protect your time, energy, and confidence as worlds collide. Email me if you’d like more info.
Remember, if you don’t happen to summer, summer will happen to you!
What’s your best survival strategy?